Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains will honor its 2017 Lubbock Women of Distinction award winners at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 2, at the Overton Hotel and Conference Center.
These awards are presented to local women in recognition of their leadership and service in the community.
This year’s mistress of ceremonies will be Christy Martinez-Garcia, owner of Latino Lubbock magazine. Proceeds from the event will benefit programs for Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains.
The Women of Distinction event will honor four remarkable women.
- Discover Award: Mary Myers, senior communications and community relations manager, United Supermarkets. The recipient of this award demonstrates exceptional understanding of herself and her values. She uses this knowledge in every way possible to help girls and women explore and discover themselves and their world.
- Connect Award: Dr. Aretha Marbley, professor and director of community counseling in counselor education, Texas Tech University. The recipient of this award demonstrates exceptional leadership in connecting with others to create solutions in our community and beyond to make the world a better place.
- Take Action Award: Altha Rainwater-Lewis, manager of distribution operations, USPS Lubbock Processing and Distribution. The recipient of this award serves our communities and advances the quality of life and opportunities so vital to the development and support of women leadership.
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Betty Wheeler, community volunteer. The recipient of this award has dedicated her life to serving in the interest and support of women leadership.
Sylvia Acevedo, interim CEO of Girl Scouts of the USA, will attend the dinner as a special guest. A proud Girl Scout, engineer, rocket scientist, and passionate advocate for both girls and Girl Scouts, Acevedo credits her Girl Scout experience with propelling her to success in the corporate and philanthropic sectors.
Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains would like to thank its sponsors for their generous support of this event, including:
- Gold Partner: Lee Lewis Construction
- Silver Partner: City Bank
- Bronze Partner: Alan Henry Insurance
- Friend Partners: American National Bank, Environmental Landscape Solutions
- In-Kind Partners: Pressman Printing, Mark Umstot Photography
Sponsorship opportunities are available. Please contact Kathi Schutz at email@example.com or 806.553.3176 for more information. For more information on Girl Scouts of Texas Oklahoma Plains, visit www.gs-top.org